Hummingbird Cake seemed like a natural for Spring. I will be featuring it in some upcoming classes with this smaller version that is great for baking right in the silicone mixing bowl. Plain yogurt or sour cream make it moist with minimal oil. It also bakes well in an 8-inch round or an 8 or 9x4-inch loaf pan. And, these recipes are also great for the Texas-sized muffin cups so you have extras to freeze for another day.
1/2 cup chopped pecans 1 teaspoon butter 1 ripe banana (medium sized, about 1/2 cup)1/3 cup crushed pineapple with juice (1/3 of an 8-oz. can) 1 egg 1/4 cup cooking oil 1/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream1/2 teaspoon vanilla1 cup all-purpose flour2/3 cup sugar1/2 teaspoon baking soda1/2 teaspoon cinnamon1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Combine pecans and butter in silicone bowl or measure. MICROWAVE (high) 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until toasted, stirring twice. Preheat microwave-convection oven to 350 degrees.
2. In 1 or 1 1/2-quart silicone bowl, stir together banana, pineapple, egg, oil, yogurt and vanilla. Mix well. Add remaining ingredients; stir until blended. Stir in toasted pecans (save a few for garnish).
3. COMBO-ROAST/BAKE with 10% microwave and 350 degrees for 20 to 24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool. Invert onto serving plate. If desired, frost with cream cheese frosting; garnish with remaining toasted pecans.
About 8 Servings
TIPS >Cake can be baked in 8-inch round silicone pan or in a loaf pan. Reduce time to 18 to 20 minutes. Or, spoon batter into 6 Texas-sized silicone muffin cups and bake 15 to 17 minutes.
>Cake freezes well, either frosted or unfrosted.
>Use a high-heat silicone bowl when planning to bake cake in bowl. If baking in another pan, cake can be mixed in any mixing bowl. Grease and flour baking pan if not silicone.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
1. MICROWAVE (100%) 1 oz. cream cheese and 1 tablespoon butter in small bowl 15 to20 seconds or until softened.
2. Blend in 1 cup powdered sugar. Stir in 1 to 2 teaspoons milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Spread on cake.